Saturday, February 23, 2013

Growing pet food, above the pets!




 



We have a lot of pets.  And we are getting another one tomorrow.  Damn.  It really wont be a bother though.  Right now we have three Guinea Pigs, three rats, two dogs, and a bunny.  Tomorrow we are fostering another bunny.  However, fostering always turns into adopting.  Always.  At least for me.  So Marley, pictured right, will have a brother soon.  Whether either one wants one or not.  So we grow food for them.  WAY cheaper than buying it.  Wheatgrass grows like a weed.  I really really wish I had the pics before, because the difference in such a short period of time is pretty spectacular.  We took some tubs we got from home depot I think for sale, like a dollar or two apiece, we had em laying around and this turned out to be kismet because they fit perfectly in the top of the hutch I built for the rabbits and piggies.  So you can see the idea of the hitch by the picture.  Guinea Pigs on bottom, rabbit in the middle with a ramp going to the top level that has wheatgrass, the one pic was before the wheatgrass was grown and the bins were empty in the top.  we got a five pound bag of wheatgrass seed from the internets for like 5 bucks.  drilled holes in the bottom of two of the bins and put them into the ones without holes.  You gotta do this, there needs to be a lot of drainage.  You gotta water the crap outa these guys.  I sprouted the seeds in a bowl, I soaked em for a few days, then drained the water and let em sit with a few paper towels on top till they sprouted nice and big.  I put a couple inches of soil in each bin, and spread the sprouts evenly over the soil.  It looks like a lot, but don't let this fool you, each one of those seeds is gonna be a blade of grass, so you want em stacked up on top of each other.  I covered em with the bins lids with holes drilled in those too.  You need to let those guys breath!!!  Let that stew for a few days, you will start to see blades coming up from the root covered seeds!!!  Let there be light!!!  These things LOVE light and water.  I have a little 150 watt grow light, so I have that above it.  This is after a couple of weeks of growth.  Looks pretty cool huh?  Any questions on how to grow wheat grass, for your health or your pets, please ask!!

Currently listening to....
Hugo
99 Problems

Like broken glass under my feet I can lose my mind in the sea
Looking for prize but I don't blood, order one drink then I drink the flood
You can come inside but your friends can't come
99 problems and a bitch ain't one

After close inspection,      nice....  nice....
You can see where we harvested some for the kids
THE HUTCH.  

No comments:

Post a Comment